X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the Team:
We are a moonshot to protect the ocean and feed humanity sustainably. Our initial area of focus is on developing technologies that bring greater visibility and understanding of what's happening under the water. A link to our X blog post on the Tidal project is here.
About the role:
As a Software Engineer, you will design critical components of our software infrastructure. You will work directly with embedded and machine perception SWEs, electrical / mechanical engineers, research scientists and operations on field deployed hardware in harsh environments.
How you will make 10X Impact:
- Develop embedded Linux software for custom hardware
- Develop real-time software to aggregate sensor data and control actuators
- Integrate cameras, sensors, and motor controllers
- Develop integration and reliability test suites
What you should have:
- BS in Computer Science, or an engineering field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong experience with C++, embedded Linux, and real-time operating systems
- Interest and ability to work at all levels of the software stack - from the embedded real time software to the cloud-based backend
- Appreciation of performance implications of resource constraints (CPU, GPU, network bandwidth, latency)
- Ability to jump to random new tasks in a fast paced project to get things done / learn new things on a daily basis
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with threading/locks/synchronization in a real-time environment
- Experience with performance oriented programming in a resource constrained platform
- Experience shipping end-to-end electronics products
- Experience in distributed systems
- Experience with RPC frameworks such as gRPC
- Experience using lab equipment like multimeters, logic analyzers, and oscilloscopes.
About X, the moonshot factory
X creates radical new technologies to solve some of the world’s biggest problems. We develop uncomfortably ambitious, potentially world-changing new ideas such as self-driving cars, balloon-powered Internet and smart contact lenses. We’re a team of makers, entrepreneurs, engineers, designers and scientists with deep technical expertise who love the challenge of the seemingly impossible. We believe that a culture of psychological safety creates the foundation of trust and respect necessary to build moonshots. X was formerly known as Google[x] and is part of Alphabet.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.