X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
THE FOUNDATION OF AN AMAZING JOURNEY
Our goal at X is to make the world a radically better place. In order to do that we seek fresh unexpected perspectives, from different fields, and that’s why we’re excited about you.
Life here isn’t easy, but it’s fun. We’re trying to build things most people can’t even imagine, and we’re doing it with the hope of making a huge, positive impact on the world. You’ll be embedded into a moonshot project, where you’ll partner with team members to solve key challenges.
This isn’t your ordinary internship. You’ll be positively challenged and pushed professionally, in ways that you may have never experienced. If this excites you - keep reading.
DURING YOUR INTERNSHIP YOU CAN EXPECT:
- To be placed on one of our confidential or public X projects
- To get paid competitively and with Google benefits
- To be part of a lively community of other Interns and Residents
- To addend colloquium and discussions with team leads from across Google, DeepMind and external organizations
- Due to Covid-19, internships are held remotely through 2021
- Laptops and equipment will be provided
- Duration: a flexible 4 mo. to 1 year program based on project team needs and your availability.
- Must be enrolled in an academic program and working towards completing a PhD degree
WHAT YOU'LL BE WORKING ON:
- Work on a confidential X project on robotics, with an individual focus on the domains motion generation, numerical optimal control and trajectory optimization.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers to design, develop and test new algorithms and features for robots.
- Be a constructive and critical thinker and provide fresh insights and ideas on our projects.
- Engaging with the X community, researchers and engineers during the program.
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program in robotics, control, mathematics, physics, or similar with a strong interest in applied research and software engineering.
- Solid understanding of numerical optimal control algorithms.
- Demonstrated experience of programming in C++ in a complex project.
- Advanced skills in optimal control, time-optimal control, MPC or trajectory optimization.
- Experience in working with robotic hardware.
- Open-source projects that demonstrate relevant skills and/or publications in relevant conferences and journals.
- Experience in optimizing code for stability, functionality and scalability.
- Strong sense of ownership for projects and high attitude towards quality.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.