X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
About the team:
You will join the leadership team of a very early stage team exploring how a mix of new fabrics, robotics and AI/ML might help people with mobility challenges and improve quality of life for hundreds of millions of people. The team is multi-disciplinary, bringing together expertise in machine learning, biomechanics, robotics and soft goods. The project will be in a prototyping phase, rapidly iterating and implementing ideas to progressively de-risk the idea from a technical perspective.
About the role:
In this role, you will lead technical planning, development, and execution of the project’s mechatronics. This includes electrical and embedded systems, sensing, complex novel actuator and transmission development, and mechanical design. You will regularly collaborate with others to solve hard technical challenges, some of which have never been solved before.
You should excel at and enjoy being a high-impact individual contributor, as well as be able to hire, upskill and guide more junior team members. This role has significant growth potential.
This is an opportunity to leverage Google’s talent, infrastructure, and reach to create a product that could help billions of people. Given the early stage of this project, there will be significant ambiguity but the opportunity to show considerable impact. This is an extremely dynamic team and requires high cross-functional communication, organization, and planning.
- Plan the mechatronics technical roadmap and lead the team to execute against it
- Attract, grow, and retain a diversity of world-class talent, providing technical direction and career growth opportunities. Inspire and motivate the team to work together as a cohesive and productive unit
- Implement high-performance, early-stage engineering best practices.
- Effectively lead collaborations and create influence across X and external vendors or stakeholders to apply cutting-edge research and drive organizational alignment
What you should have:
Having as many of these specific qualifications is a plus, but transferable skills/experiences from other adjacent domains may be equally valuable, we care more about who you are than what you’ve done.
- MS / PhD degree in a STEM field such as Engineering or Robotics
- Qualifications and/or experience in mechatronics, including electrical engineering, real-time embedded systems, sensor integration and complex design of novel actuator and transmission systems
- Maker expertise, including rapid prototyping, digital and analog circuits, mechatronics skills
- Demonstrated mastery of early-stage engineering management, for example as technical founder of at least one successful startup, as leader of several high-performance engineering teams or as owner of a complex, integrated robotic project
- Strong entrepreneurial traits, especially persistence and resourcefulness
- Empathy, customer focus and a strong passion for impact
It’d be great if you also had these:
- Experience with wearable robotics, assistive technology or consumer products
- Experience with: BLDC electromechanical systems, solid modeling, FEA, and component design, kinematics and dynamics analysis of mechanisms
- Strong programming skills in Python or C
- Experience managing engineering design firms and similar vendors
- Experience in bringing a product to market, rapidly incorporating early feedback and dealing with early failures
You should be prepared to:
- Be biased to action and will “roll up your sleeves”. Thrive in ambiguity and able to manage your own work
- Drive impact, fall in love with problems, not solutions. Fail often, embrace humility.
- Engineer on the edge of reasonableness, with insufficient resources; a rag-tag crew of scientists, generalists, operating with unrealistic expectations and a low probability of success.
- Be a source of joy, inspiration and creativity to the team. Help us win the Great Nerfgun War of 2021.
- Put up with the project lead’s lame sense of humour and bad punning.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.