X is Alphabet’s moonshot factory where uncomfortably ambitious, world-changing ideas are developed and taken out into the world. X projects have the potential to transform the lives of billions of people and make the world a radically better place. For X to be successful, we have to repeatedly turn breakthrough technology ideas into products that solve large problems in the world, and create meaningful businesses for Alphabet.
We are a team of computational and experimental scientists dedicated to making a moonshot in the life sciences. We’re looking for a computational biologist to scope, build, and deliver computational models of biology for both internal and external facing projects.
The ideal team member will demonstrate scrappiness, creativity, and drive to “make it happen” by delivering customized solutions that meet stakeholder needs. They will thrive in an organization that rapidly iterates, evolves and leans into ambiguity. They are able to take a computational biology modeling problem and own its prototyping, and troubleshooting (both biological and computational). They work closely with members of our engineering team to implement robust, scalable versions of their models.
If this job description excites you and you think you would thrive in this environment, please apply.
Activities expected of this hire will include but are not limited to:
- Work with large, complex biological data sets within existing modeling frameworks. Conduct end-to-end analysis that includes data gathering and requirements specification, processing, analysis, ongoing deliverables, and presentations.
- Prototype and build novel computational models of biology based on experimental data and literature with appropriately chosen abstractions given data and the end use case. This also includes novel algorithm development.
- Interact cross-functionally with a wide variety of people and teams. Work closely with scientists, engineers, and product managers to inform and prioritize new product features.
- Make business recommendations with effective presentations of findings/insights at multiple levels of stakeholders through visual displays of quantitative information.
- PhD degree in a relevant field (e.g. Bioengineering, Computational Biology, Chemical Engineering, Metabolic Engineering, Systems Biology) or equivalent practical experience.
- Knowledge of molecular biology, metabolism, and cell physiology.
- Track record of publications or industrial experience applying mathematical modeling to problems in the life sciences.
- Experience with multiple modeling methodologies broadly used in computational biology (i.e. constraint based, differential equation).
- Experience with data analysis and programming languages (such as Python or C++).
- Excellent communication skills and aptitude for working with cross-functional teams.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience.
- Knowledge of microbiology.
- Experience with parameter estimation for large-scale computational models from data.
- Excellent project management skills, with a track record of delivering technical solutions to stakeholders on schedule.
At X, we don't just accept difference - we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products and our community. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at: email@example.com.